ARMY TM 10-1670-271-23&P
AIR FORCE TO 14D1-2-464-2
MARINE CORPS TM 01136B-23&P/1
c. Other Shipping Instructions. Parachutes destined for domestic or overseas shipment will be packaged
and marked in accordance with AR 700-15, AR 55-45, TM 38-230-1, and TM 38-230-2. Shipment of
parachutes will be accomplished In accordance with TM 10-1670-201-23.
2-38. Accordion Folding/Rigger Rolling.
a. Accordion Folding. Personnel parachute canopy assemblies that are not packed for use should be
accordion folded prior to entry into storage To accordion fold a parachute canopy assembly, perform the
(1) Place the parachute canopy In proper layout under partial tension and dress the outside edges of
both gore groups.
(2) Fold the left group of gores over the right group of gores (A, figure 2-135). Release tension.
(3) "Chain" the suspension lines and S-fold the "chained" lines on top of the applicable parachute pack
(B, figure 2-135).
(4) Place the lower end of the canopy on top of the S-folded suspension lines and locate the lower edge
of the canopy skirt at the lower end of the pack.
(5) Accordion fold the remaining canopy length neatly on top of the canopy lower end (C, figure 2-135).
Turn the canopy vent under the last fold.
(6) Temporarily secure the folded canopy to the pack tray with available webbing or pack components
(D, figure 2-135).
(7) Upon completion of the accordion folding process, place the folded parachute assembly in a suitable
type container for storage.
b. Rigger Rolling. Personnel parachute assemblies will be rigger rolled prior to being sent to or returned
from a parachute repair activity for ease of handling to prevent suspension line entanglement. Rigger roll a
parachute as follows:
(1) Place the parachute in proper layout and apply partial tension.
(2) Grasp the right and left suspension line groups. Using a fast circular motion, flip each of the two gore
groups up and to the center radial seam. Tighten each gore group roll by hand bringing both rolled
gore groups together at the center radial seam (A, figure 2-136).
(3) Release tension and disconnect the canopy vent from the vent attaching device.
(4) Fold the canopy vent down between the rolled gore groups to a point within 18 inches of the canopy
skirt lower edge.
(5) Beginning at the folded upper end of the canopy, roll the canopy tightly toward the canopy skirt (B,
figure 2-136). Ensure the width of the rolled canopy does not exceed the width of the applicable
parachute pack tray.