TM 10-1670-272-23&P 0012 00
BASTING AND TEMPORARY TACKING
Basting and temporary tacking are hand-sewing methods used to temporarily hold layers of cloth fabric
together while a repair is being performed. The following is a list of procedures that apply to basting and
temporary tacking actions:
1. Basting and temporary tacking should be made using thread that is of a contrasting color to the
material being worked.
2. Basting and temporary tacking will be performed using a single strand of size A, nylon thread, or ticket
No. 24/4 cotton thread.
3. When basting, do not tie knots at any point in the thread length. Also, the sewing should be made
with two stitches per inch.
4. Immediately upon completion of a repair, remove previously made basting or temporary tacking.
STITCHING AND RESTITCHING
Perform stitching and restitching as follows, refer to tables 1 and 2.
1. Parachute canopy assemblies. The stitching and restitching made on parachute canopies should be
accomplished with thread that is contrasting in color to the fabric being restitched. If contrasting color
thread is not available, thread of matching color may be used, providing all other specifications are
met. Straight stitching and restitching on parachute canopy assemblies should be locked by at least
2-inches at each end of a stitch row, when possible. Zig-Zag stitching does not require locking;
however, zig-zag restitching should extend at least ¼-inch into undamaged stitching at each end, hen
possible. When restitching parachute canopy assemblies, stitch directly over the original stitching and
follow the original stitch pattern as closely as possible.
Table 1. Sewing Machine Code Symbols
SEWING MACHINE, INDUSTRIAL: General sewing; 301 stitch; light duty;
SEWING MACHINE, INDUSTRIAL: Zig-zag; 308 stitch; medium duty;
SEWING MACHINE, INDUSTRIAL: Zig-zag; 308 stitch; light duty;
SEWING MACHINE, INDUSTRIAL: General sewing; 301 stitch; heavy duty;
SEWING MACHINE, INDUSTRIAL: General sewing; 301 stitch; medium duty;
SEWING MACHINE, INDUSTRIAL: Darning; lock stitch;
SEWING MACHINE, INDUSTRIAL: 301 stitch; light-heavy duty;
SEWING MACHINE, INDUSTRIAL: 301 stitch; double-needle;