TM 10-1670-272-23&P 0008 00
CLEANING FABRIC ITEMS WITH A SOLUTION OF HAND DISHWASHING COMPOUND
Use dishwashing compound to clean fabric items as follows:
1. Gently brush with a soft bristle brush.
2. Spot clean with a solution of dishwashing compound.
a. Dissolve one-half cup of dishwashing compound in one-gallon of warm water.
b. Rub the soiled area with a clean cloth dampened with a solution of dishwashing compound.
c. Rinse cleaned area by repeating process with a clean portion of cloth dampened with water.
RINSING PARACHUTE ASSEMBLY IMMERSED IN SALT-WATER
If the parachute, or any of its components, has been immersed in salt water in excess of 24-hours it will be
condemned. Additionally, if the parachute, or any of its components, has been immersed in salt water for
a period less than 24-hours, but cannot be rinsed within 48-hours after recovery, it will also be
condemned. However, if the cited time limitations can be met, then immediately upon recovery, suspend
or elevate the parachute assembly in a shaded area and allow it to drain for at least 5-minutes. Do not
attempt to wring the fabric or the suspension lines. Within 48-hours after recover, under the supervision
of a qualified parachute rigger (92R), rinse the recovered parachute assembly as follows:
1. Place the parachute assembly in a large watertight container filled with a suitable amount of fresh,
clean water to cover the assembly.
If the salt-water-soaked parachute assembly is too large to be
placed into a rinsing container, then the rinsing process will be
affected by applying fresh, clean water to the assembly using a
2. Agitate the container contents by hand for 5-minutes.
3. Remove the parachute assembly from the container and suspend or elevate it in a shaded area,
allowing a 5-minute drainage period. Do not attempt to wring the fabric or the suspension lines.
4. Repeat the procedures in steps 1. through 3., above, twice, using fresh, clean water for each rinse.
5. After the third rinse, allow the parachute assembly to drain thoroughly. Upon completion of draining,
dry the assembly in accordance with the Drying Fabric Items procedures, below.
6. When dried, perform a technical/rigger-type inspection of the parachute assembly. Corroded metal
components, or corrosion-stained fabrics or suspension lines, will be either repaired or replaced as
prescribed by the Maintenance Allocation Chart (MAC) in WP 0044 00.
7. Record any repair, immersion, and rinsing in the parachute log record as shown in WP 0003 00
(Service Upon Receipt).