ARMY TM 10-1670-275-23&P
AIR FORCE TO 13C5-25-2
NAVY NAVAIR 13-1-26
2-11. Shakeout and Airing.
This task covers:
Brush, scrub, household, Item 3, Appendix D
Personnel Required: (2)
43E(10) Parachute Rigger
a. Shakeout. The shakeout will be accomplished by a two-person team, either indoors within a shakeout
room or outdoors at a shakeout tower. Each parachute will be suspended by the canopy vent and all debris
removed by shaking the canopy thoroughly or by brushing with a dry soft-bristled brush as detailed below:
(1) With assistance from no 2 person, no 1 person will connect snap on a pulley rope to canopy bridle
loop (A, figure 2-7).
(2) Through use of pulley rope, no. 2 person will raise canopy to a suitable height which will enable no 1
person to perform shakeout on each of canopy gores. Until gore shaking process Is completed no 2
person will maintain a steady pull on pulley rope to hold suspended canopy at working height needed
by no 1 person.
(3) No. 1 person will grasp any two consecutive suspension lines, one in each hand (B, figure 2-7), and
vigorously shake first gore. When gore is free of debris, no 1 person passes line from right hand to
left hand and grasps next consecutive suspension line in right hand no. 1 person will shake out each
consecutive gore until all suspension lines are held in left hand and all gores are free of debris.
(4) Once gore shaking process is completed, no 2 person will slowly raise suspended canopy higher as
no. 1 person clears suspension lines of debris and removes entanglements (C, figure 2-7) when
(5) After suspension lines have been cleared, no. 2 person may hold or temporarily secure pulley rope
while no 1 person proceeds to clear debris from other parachute components such as risers or
(6) When all components are free of debris, no. 2 person will slowly lower canopy while no. 1 person S-
folds suspension lines into deployment bag (D, figure 2-7). After suspension lines have been
completely folded, no. 1 person will accordion-fold canopy length on top of folded lines.
(7) As canopy folding Is being completed, no 1 person disconnects canopy vent from pulley rope snap
Secure folded canopy assembly for further handling.