ARMY TM 10-1670-275-23&P
AIR FORCE TO 13C5-25-2
NAVY NAVAIR 13-1-26
2-14. Acidity Test.
This task covers:
Packing Paddle, Item 11, Appendix B
43E(10) Parachute Rigger
Medicine Dropper, Item 17, Appendix D
Three-Color pH Paper, Item 18, Appendix D
Layout on packing table or other suitable area
Spool with Color Chart, Item 23, Appendix D
a. Fabric and Webbing Acidity Test. Components and parts that are constructed from fabric or webbing
will be administered an acidity test whenever the material is discolored, stained, or the presence of acid is
suspected. The acidity test will be accomplished using approved colorimetric pH paper, strip type, with the
color comparison chart on the side of each manufacturer's dispenser, to determine the acidity level in steps of 1
pH on a fabric or webbing item.
b. Test Procedure. Perform test as follows:
(1) Using a medicine dropper or equivalent type applicator, place one to two drops of water on item in
Intended test area. If water drops do not penetrate material, gently rub moistened area with a flat
side of a clean metal packing paddle.
(2) Tear a suitable length of colorimetric pH paper from dispenser, place piece of pH paper on wetted
area and press full surface of paper against material with a flat side of packing paddle used in step
(1) above. Insure the pH paper becomes thoroughly wet.
(3) Using color comparison chart enclosed in dispenser, compare the color of moistened pH paper strip
with the pH 1-3 color scale. If the color of the pH paper matches the numerical pH 1-3, the acidity
present in the material exceeds the acceptable level and the item is to be condemned and processed
for disposition in accordance with paragraph 2-13e.
(4) After a packing paddle has been used as outlined in steps (1) and (2), above, thoroughly rinse and
dry the paddle before using the paddle for any other functions.