ARMY TM 10-1670-279-23&P
AIR FORCE T.O. 13C5-27-2
NAVY NAVAIR 13-1-28
2-11. Shakeout and Airing.
This task covers:
Brush, Scrub, Household, Item 1, Appendix B
Personnel Required: (2)
43E(10) Parachute Rigger
a. Shakeout. The shakeout will be accomplished by a two-person team, either indoors within a shakeout room or
outdoors at a shakeout tower. Each parachute will be suspended by the canopy vent and all debris removed by shaking
the canopy thoroughly or by brushing with a dry soft-bristled brush as detailed below:
(1) With assistance from No. 2 person, No. 1 person will connect snap on a pulley rope to canopy bridle loop (A,
(2) Through use of pulley rope, No. 2 person will raise canopy to a suitable height which will enable No. 1 person
to perform shakeout on each of canopy gores. Until gore shaking process is completed, No. 2 person will
maintain a steady pull on pulley rope to hold suspended canopy at working height needed by No. 1 person.
(3) No. 1 person will grasp any two consecutive suspension lines, one in each hand (B, figure 2-8), and vigorously
shake first gore. When gore is free of debris, No. 1 person passes line from right hand to left hand and grasps
next consecutive suspension line in right hand. No. 1 person will shake out each consecutive gore until all
suspension lines are held in left hand and all gores are free of debris.
(4) Once gore shaking process is completed, No. 2 person will slowly raise suspended canopy higher as No. 1
person clears suspension lines of debris and removes entanglements (C, figure 2-8) when possible.
(5) After suspension lines have been cleared, No. 2 person may hold or temporarily secure pulley rope while No.
1 person proceeds to clear debris from other parachute components.
(6) When all components are free of debris, No. 2 person will slowly lower canopy while No. 1 person S-folds
suspension lines into deployment bag (D, figure 2-8). After suspension lines have been completely folded, No.
1 person will accordion-fold canopy length on top of folded lines.
(7) As canopy folding is being completed, No. 1 person disconnects canopy vent from pulley rope snap. Secure
folded canopy assembly for further handling.