TM 10-1670-280-23&P 0020 00
Age life for the nylon parachute mending cloth, prior to application, is
three years from the date of adhesive coating which is marked on each
roll of mending cloth.
(1) Lay out the canopy with the damaged area exposed.
(2) To facilitate the application of the mending cloth patch, place a ½- by 20-inch smooth wooden
board or similar smooth, hard-finished, rigid material (except paper board) under the damaged
(3) Trim the ragged, frayed, or severely burned areas of the canopy cloth to provide a smooth area
for patch application.
(4) Using an authorized marking aid of contrasting color, mark a square, triangle, or rectangle, as
applicable, around the damaged area.
(5) Measure and cut lengths of the mending cloth to achieve the shape and size of the intended
patch. Cut the patch to provide an overlap of the damaged area using the specifications in table
3. Round-off the corners of the patch. Patches will be prepared in duplicate to allow for
application on the inside and outside of the canopy.
(6) Remove the paper backing from the adhesive side of the mending cloth by forming a crease;
score the paper with a fingernail, and peel the paper from the adhesive coating. Ensure the
mending cloth is not damaged when scoring the paper backing.
(7) Smooth the canopy material adjacent to the damaged area on the canopy outside; place the
formed mending cloth patch over the damaged area.