TM 10-1670-280-23&P 0045 00
DIRECT SUPPORT MAINTENANCE
100-FOOT DIAMETER CARGO PARACHUTE
RADIAL LINE REINFORCEMENT TAPE
THIS TASK COVERS:
Knife (Item 7, WP 0050 00)
Knife, Hot Metal (Item 8, WP 0050 00)
Sewing Machine, Zig-Zag (Item 24, WP 0050 00)
Shears (Item 25, WP 0050 00)
Yardstick (Item 26, WP 0050 00)
Tape, Nylon, Type III, ½-IN. Wide (Item 33, WP 0059 00)
Thread, Nylon, Size E (Item 41/42, WP 0059 00)
92R (10) Parachute Rigger
Cleaned (WP 0008 00).
Inspected (WP 0009 00).
Unpacked, canopy laid out flat
on repair table.
Replace a damaged upper, intermediate, or lower radial line reinforcement tape by fabricating using the
1. Remove original reinforcement tape by cutting the stitching securing the tape length to the canopy.
2. Cut a length of ½-inch wide, type III nylon tape, 1-inch longer than the original tape finished length and
sear the ends.
3. Make a ¾-inch long foldunder on one end of the tape length and a ¼-inch long foldunder on the opposite
4. Position the tape length in the original reinforcement tape location with the foldunders facing down and
the ¾-inch long foldunder directly away from the skirt or vent band (lower or upper lateral band), as
applicable (refer to illustration on following page).
5. Secure the tape length to the radial line by stitching a 3/16-inch wide single row of double-throw zig-zag
stitching according to the details in (illustration on following page), using size E nylon thread, 7 to 11
stitches per inch, with a zig-zag sewing machine.
When installing the intermediate and the lower radial line
reinforcement tapes at the canopy skirt, ensure a sufficient amount
of canopy fabric is allowed between the two zig-zag stitch rows to
form a ¾-inch pucker in the material.