TM 10-1670-280-23&P 0008 00
Equipment made of cotton fabric immersed in salt-water is to be
condemned. Refer to WP 0009 00, INSPECTION, for equipment
PARACHUTE ASSEMBLY IMMERSED IN SALT-WATER
If the parachute, or any of its components, has been immersed in salt-water in excess of 24-hours it will be
condemned. Additionally, if the parachute, or any of its components, has been immersed in salt-water for a
period less than 24-hours, but cannot be rinsed within 48-hours after recovery, it will also be condemned.
However, if the cited time limitations can be met, then immediately upon recovery, suspend or elevate the
parachute assembly in a shaded area and allow it to drain for at least 5-minutes. Do not attempt to wring the
fabric or the suspension lines. Within 48-hours after recovery, under the supervision of a qualified parachute
rigger (92R), rinse the recovered parachute assembly as follows:
1. Place the parachute assembly in a large watertight container filled with a suitable amount of fresh, clean
water to cover the assembly.
If salt water-soaked assembly is too large to be placed in a rinsing
container, then the rinsing process will be affected by applying fresh,
clean water using a hose.
2. Agitate container contents by hand for 5-minutes.
3. Remove parachute assembly from container and suspend or elevate it in a shaded area, allowing a 5-
minute drainage period. Do not attempt to wring the fabric or the suspension lines.
4. Repeat procedures 1. through 3., above, twice, using fresh, clean water for each rinse.
5. After third rinse, allow the parachute assembly to drain thoroughly. Upon completion of draining, dry the
assembly in accordance with the DRYING FABRIC ITEMS procedures detailed above.
6. When dried, perform a technical/rigger-type inspection of the parachute assembly. Corroded metal
components, or corrosion-stained fabrics or suspension lines will be either repaired or replaced as
prescribed by the MAC, WP 0050 00.
7. Record any repairs, immersion and rinsing in the parachute log record as detailed in WP 0003 00,
SERVICE UPON RECEIPT.