MC-4 RAM AIR FREE-FALL PERSONNEL PARACHUTE SYSTEM
MAIN AND RESERVE PILOT CHUTE ATTACHMENT
THIS TASK COVERS:
Knife (Item 23, WP 0063 00)
Pliers, Large, Diagonal Cut (Item 32, WP 0063 00)
Sewing Machine, Automatic Box-X (Table 1, WP 0015 00)
Sewing Machine, Bartack (Table 1, WP 0015 00)
Sewing Machine, Double Needle (Table 1, WP 0015 00)
Sewing Machine, Light-Duty (Table 1, WP 0015 00)
Shears (Item 39, WP 0063 00)
Tape, Nylon, 1-Inch Wide, Gray (Item 34, WP 0076 00)
Thread, Nylon, Size E (Item 43/44, WP 0076 00)
Style Force 9,1.9-oz Ripstop Weave, 2-IN. Wide (Item 32, WP 0076 00)
92R (10) Parachute Rigger
Layout on packing table or
other suitable area.
REPLACE PILOT CHUTE ATTACHING RING
1. Carefully cut and remove damaged pilot parachute ring and strap.
2. Obtain a 9-inch length of 1-inch wide nylon tape from supply stock and fabricate a new strap IAW the
3. Using an automatic box-X sewing machine, and size E nylon thread, re-sew ring and strap to the
canopy as close to the original position as possible ensuring it is sewn to the nylon tape on the rib.
REPLACE PILOT CHUTE ATTACHING RING NYLON REINFORCEMENT
1. Remove pilot chute ring as stated in Replace Pilot Chute Attaching Ring, step 1., above.
2. Beginning at a point approximately 6-inches out from the edge of the nylon reinforcement, carefully
cut and remove stitching that secures the rib to the top skin through the nylon reinforcement, and 6-
inches beyond the nylon reinforcement (approximately 12-inches of stitching should be removed).
3. Carefully cut and remove stitching which secures the nylon reinforcement to the top skin.
4. Remove the nylon reinforcement.
5. Obtain from supply stock a 7-inch by 7-inch piece of Style-Force 9 fabric.
6. Install the nylon to the top skin using the old one as a guide and sew as close to the original position
7. Using a light-duty sewing machine and size E nylon thread, sew a double row of stitching.
8. Re-sew the rib previously removed in step 2., above, using original construction and stitch formation.
9. Re-sew the pilot parachute-attaching ring removed in step 1., above, using procedures in step 3. in
the REPLACE PILOT CHUTE ATTACHING RING paragraph detailed above.