TM 10-1670-287-23&P 0059 00
DIRECT SUPPORT MAINTENANCE
MC-4 RAM AIR FREE-FALL PERSONNEL PARACHUTE SYSTEM
THIS TASK COVERS:
Needle, Tacking (Item 29, WP 0063 00)
Sewing Machine, Medium-Duty (Table 1, WP 0050 00)
Shears (Item 39, WP 0063 00)
Stitch Removal Tool (Item 40, WP 0063 00)
Tape Measure (Item 42, WP 0063 00)
Cloth, Nylon Ripstop, Type I (Item 9, WP 0076 00)
Thread, Nylon, Size A (Item 45, WP 0076 00)
Thread, Nylon, Size E (Item 43/44, WP 0076 00)
Layout on packing table or other
92R (10) Parachute Rigger
Due to complexity of repair, it is recommended that pre-fabricated
repair parts be purchased via construction from bolt material.
1. A canopy section is defined as an area between loaded ribs on the left and right side (rigger view)
and from seam to seam from the nose to the tail.
2. Carefully cut and remove any items necessary to expose the damaged section, such as suspension
line attaching loops and reinforcement tapes.
3. Carefully cut and remove the double rows of stitching securing the ribs to the damaged section.
4. Carefully cut and remove all stitching securing the damaged section to the nose and tail seam side
of the section.
5. Using the two (2) double rows of stitching that secured both loaded ribs to the section as a guide,
draw a line the width of the section between the double rows using an authorized marking aid.
Draw a second line ¼-inch in from the previous width of the section to allow for a ¼-inch fold back.
6. Cut along the second line of both loaded ribs and remove the damaged area leaving approximately
¼-inch of material.
7. Measure the damaged panel. Using the ripstop blocks as a guide cut a new piece of replacement
material. Ensure the replacement piece is 1-inch wider (spanwise) and the same length on the
nose to tail side.
8. Sew the new section material to the adjacent section with one (1) row of straight stitching ¼-inch
from the edge on both the left and right sides, using size E, nylon thread, 7 to 11 stitches per inch,
ensuring the raw edge is to the inside (see illustrations marked VIEW 1, TOP SKIN, and VIEW 4,