TM 10-1670-293-23&P 0008 00
6. When dried, perform a technical/rigger-type inspection of the parachute assembly. Corroded metal
components, or corrosion-stained fabrics or suspension lines, will be either repaired or replaced as
prescribed by the MAC in WP 0039 00.
7. Record any repair, immersion, and rinsing in the parachute log record as shown in WP 0003 00.
RINSING PARACHUTE ASSEMBLY IMMERSED IN FRESH-WATER
Any parachute, or its components, that has been immersed in a fresh water lake, river, or stream will not
require rinsing unless it has been ascertained that the water is dirty, oily, or otherwise contaminated.
Procedures for handling a fresh water immersed parachute are as follows:
1. Contaminated fresh water. If the parachute, or its components, has been immersed in contaminated
fresh water, rinse and dry (see Rinsing Parachute Assembly Immersed in Salt Water, above), and, if
2. Uncontaminated fresh water. If the parachute, or its components, has been immersed in
uncontaminated fresh water, it will be cleaned and dried as outlined in the Cleaning Fabric Items With
a Solution of Hand Dishwashing Compound, Drying Fabric Items, and Cleaning Metal Items
paragraphs above and below. Minor discoloration of fabric items, resulting from immersion in
uncontaminated fresh water, may occur.
Fabric items will not be dried in direct sunlight or by laying an item
on the ground.
DRYING FABRIC ITEMS
Dry fabric items as follows:
1. Suspend or elevate the item in a well-ventilated room or in a heated drying room.
2. Using electric circulating fans may reduce drying time.
3. When heat is used, the heat temperature shall not exceed 160 degrees Fahrenheit (71 degrees
Celsius). The preferred temperature is 140 degrees Fahrenheit (60 degrees Celsius).
CLEANING METAL ITEMS
Clean metal items as follows:
Use care not to damage the adjacent fabric materials.
1. Remove burrs, rough spots, rust, or corrosion from metal items by filing with a metal file, or by buffing
and polishing with abrasive cloth.
Remove all oils and filings by brushing and cleansing with dishwashing compound. Allow to dry