TM 10-1670-296-20&P 0008 00
A small amount of lubricant will not damage fabric, but may cause
discoloration and make fabric appear soiled.
RINSING EQUIPMENT IMMERSED IN SALT-WATER
If the fabric item, or any of its components, has been immersed in salt-water in excess of 24-hours it will be
condemned. Additionally, if the fabric item, or any of its components, has been immersed in salt-water for a
period less than 24-hours, but cannot be rinsed within 48-hours after recovery, it will also be condemned.
However, if the cited time limitations can be met, then immediately upon recovery, suspend or elevate the
item in a shaded area and allow it to drain for at least 5-minutes. Do not attempt to wring the fabric. Within
48-hours after recovery, under the supervision of a qualified parachute rigger (92R); rinse the item. Items
found, or known to be contaminated, are to be cleaned in the following manner:
1. Place equipment in a large watertight container filled with a suitable amount of fresh, clean water to cover
Equipment made of cotton fabric immersed in salt-water is to be
condemned. Refer to WP 0007 00, INSPECTION, for equipment
If salt water-soaked equipment is too large to be placed in a rinsing
container, then the rinsing process will be affected by applying fresh,
clean water using a hose on the item.
2. Agitate container contents by hand for 5-minutes.
3. Remove item(s) from container and suspend or elevate equipment in a shaded area, allowing a 5-minute
drainage period. Do not attempt to wring equipment fabric or, if applicable, suspension lines.
4. Repeat procedures 1. through 3., above, twice, using fresh, clean water for each rinse.
5. After third rinse, allow equipment to drain thoroughly. Upon completion of draining, dry equipment in
accordance with the DRYING FABRIC ITEMS procedures detailed above.
6. When dried, perform a technical/rigger-type inspection of item(s). Corroded metal components, or
corrosion-stained fabrics or suspension lines will be either repaired or replaced as prescribed by the
MAC, WP 0064 00.
7. If recovered equipment is a parachute, record immersion, rinsing, and any repairs in individual parachute
log record as detailed in WP 0003 00 (SERVICE UPON RECEIPT).