TM 10-1670-296-20&P 0004 00
CLEANING AND DRYING
Inspect LVADS Ancillary Equipment after each use for dampness, dirt, or foreign material. Cleaning and
drying may be required to prevent a possible malfunction or deterioration of the item(s). Process
equipment that has been immersed in water as given in WP 0007 00, INSPECTION, and WP 0009 00,
SALT/FRESH-WATER CONTAMINATION TEST. Clean the equipment as follows:
If during the cleaning of LVADS Ancillary Equipment, there exists a
possibility that a substance to be removed contains acid, the item
will be condemned.
Cleaning. The cleaning of airdrop equipment will be held to a minimum and performed only when it is
necessary to eliminate a malfunction potential or the possibility of material deterioration. The cleaning
method must be compatible with the type of material to be cleaned and the nature of the substance to be
removed. Clean LVADS Ancillary Equipment using the following procedures:
Shaking and Brushing. Clean most LVADS Ancillary Equipment assemblies by shaking or gently
brushing with a dry soft-bristle brush. A dry stiff-bristle brush can be used on items made of canvas,
metal, or wood.
Spot-cleaning. Spot-clean soiled areas on a fabric airdrop item that cannot be cleaned by shaking or
brushing as follows:
When rinsing the equipment, do not attempt to wring the equipment
fabric or lines.
1. Spot-clean a cotton item by rubbing the soiled area with a clean cloth and a solution composed of
one-half cup of hand dishwashing detergent (liquid or powdered) dissolved in one gallon of warm
2. Once the foreign substance has been removed, rinse the cleaned area by repeating the rubbing
process with clean portion of the cloth that has been dampened with fresh clean water.
3. Do not wring out the rinsed area.
4. Allow the applicable item to dry thoroughly.
Nylon and Rayon Items
1. A soiled nylon or rayon item may be spot cleaned using the cleaning procedures detailed above.
2. A soiled area cleaned with the soap and water solution will be rinsed with fresh, clean water and
allowed to dry thoroughly.
3. Do not attempt to wring out the material that has been cleaned and rinsed.