When installing a flat grommet by the hand-held method, insure the grommet barrel and washer
are aligned to preclude off-center setting of the grommet.
(11) Using a suitable sized punch and a rawhide mallet or other non-steel impact device, spread the
grommet barrel by hammering as shown until the barrel collar is rolled down smooth on the washer. If the grommet
barrel splits during the hammering process, remove and replace the installed grommet with a serviceable item from
stock, subsequently repeating the procedures in (9) and (10) above.
(12) Check the seating of the grommet and if the grommet can be turned by hand, repeat the procedure in 3
above until the grommet is firmly seated.
(13) To install a flat grommet by hand-operated press install a suitable sized chuck and die on a hand- or
foot-operated press. Secure the chuck and die in place using the available locking screws and a suitable sized key (Allen
type hexagon wrench)
(14) Insert the barrel of the replacement grommet through the accommodating hole in the material as shown.
Insure the flange of the replacement grommet is on the same side of the material as the original grommet.
(15) Position the grommet on the installed die with the barrel facing up and place the replacement washer
over the grommet barrel.
(16) Depress the press handle or foot pedal and spread the grommet barrel until the collar of the barrel is
rolled down smoothly on the washer.
(17) Check the grommet for a firm seating. If the grommet can be turned by hand, repeat the procedure in
(16) above until a firm seating of the grommet is achieved