SERVICE - continued
Cleaning fabric items with a solution of hand dishwashing compound
Use dishwashing compound to clean fabric items as follows:
1. Gently brush with a soft bristle brush.
2. Spot clean with a solution of dishwashing compound.
a. Dissolve one-half cup of dishwashing compound in one-gallon of warm water.
b. Rub the soiled area with a clean cloth dampened with a solution of dishwashing compound.
Rinse the cleaned area by repeating the rubbing process, with a clean portion of the cloth
dampened with water.
Rinsing parachute assembly immersed in salt-water
If the parachute, or any of its components, has been immersed in salt water in excess of 24-hours it will
be condemned. Additionally, if the parachute, or any of its components, has been immersed in salt water
for a period less than 24-hours, but cannot be rinsed within 48-hours after recovery, it will also be
condemned unless the following actions are performed. Upon removal from the salt water, the parachute
is placed in a single heavy duty plastic trash bag, the top of the bag secured closed and kept in a wet
state until a rinse can be performed following normal rinse procedures. The bag must be doubled when
outside temperatures exceed 85 degrees F. The bags must be inspected after transport and storage to
insure the bag did not get torn and the assembly was allowed to dry. Parachutes recovered using this
method must be rinsed no later than than 7 days after the salt water immersion or be condemned.
However, if the cited time limitations can be met, then immediately upon recover, suspend or elevate the
parachute assembly in a shaded area and allow it to drain for at least 5-minutes. Do not attempt to wring
the fabric or the suspension lines. Within 48-hours after recover, under the supervision of a qualified
parachute rigger (92R), rinse the recovered parachute assembly as follows:
1. Place the parachute assembly in a large watertight container filled with a suitable amount of fresh,
clean water to cover the assembly.
If the salt-water-soaked parachute assembly is too large to be placed into a rinsing
container, then the rinsing process will be affected by applying fresh, clean water to the
assembly using a hose.
2. Agitate the container contents by hand for 5-minutes.
3. Remove the parachute assembly from the container and suspend or elevate it in a shaded area,
allowing a 5-minute drainage period. Do not attempt to wring the fabric or the suspension lines.
4. Repeat the procedures in steps 1. through 3. above, twice, using fresh, clean water for each rinse.
5. After the third rinse, allow the parachute assembly to drain thoroughly. Upon completion of draining,
dry the assembly in accordance with the DRYING FABRIC ITEMS procedures, below.