SERVICE - continued
6. When dried, perform a technical/rigger-type inspection of the parachute assembly. Corroded metal
components, or corrosion-stained fabrics or suspension lines, will be either repaired or replaced as
prescribed by the Maintenance Allocation Chart (MAC) in WP 0097 00.
7. Record any repair, immersion, and rinsing in the parachute log record as shown in WP 0005 00.
Rinsing parachute assembly immersed in fresh-water
Any parachute, or its components, that has been immersed in a fresh water lake, river, or stream will not
require rinsing unless it has been ascertained that the water is dirty, oily, or otherwise contaminated.
Procedures for handling a fresh water immersed parachute are as follows:
1. Contaminated fresh water. If the parachute, or its components, has been immersed in contaminated
fresh-water, rinse and dry (see RINSING PARACHUTE ASSEMBLY IMMERSED IN SALT WATER,
above), and, if applicable, repair.
2. Uncontaminated fresh-water. If the parachute, or its components, has been immersed in
uncontaminated fresh-water, it will be cleaned and dried as outlined in CLEANING FABRIC ITEMS
WITH A SOLUTION OF HAND DISHWASHING COMPOUND, DRYING FABRIC ITEMS, and
CLEANING METAL ITEMS, in the detailed paragraphs above and below. Minor discoloration of
fabric items, resulting from immersion in uncontaminated fresh-water, may occur.
Fabric items will not be dried in direct sunlight or by laying an item on the ground except
in an emergency.
Drying fabric items
Dry fabric items as follows:
1. Suspend or elevate the item in a well-ventilated room or in a heated drying room away from direct
2. Using electric circulating fans or suspending the assembly in a heated drying room may reduce drying
3. Do not use in a room where the temperature exceeds 160F. nor dry the assembly for more than
three consecutive hours at this temperature.
Cleaning Metal Items
Clean metal items as follows:
Use care not to damage the adjacent fabric materials.
1. Remove burrs, rough spots, rust, or corrosion from metal items by filing with a metal file, or by buffing
and polishing with abrasive cloth.
2. Remove all oils and filings by brushing and cleansing with dishwashing compound. Allow to dry.
END OF WORK PACKAGE
0011 00-3/(4 Blank)