Estimate of time to modify MCI-IC parachute with reinforcement modification.
a. Layout, mark and cut reinforcement tape: 45 minutes.
b. Install reinforcement tape: 10 minutes.
c. Inspect parachute for return to service: 5 minutes.
d. Total time on the second or more canopy worked on (reflects use of 308 zig-zag sewing machine): 1
2. List of Materials/Tools Required:
a. Scissors: 1 pair.
b. Sewing Machine, Light Duty Singer Zig-Zag, or Equivalent: 1 each.
c. Approved Marking Pen: 1 each.
d. "T Pins and Weights: as required.
e. Tape Measure, T-Square, or Framing Square: 1 each.
f. 1 1/2 Inch Type III, Class 1 or 2 OD Tape, MIL-T-5083 (NSN 8315-00-753-5952): 1 roll.
g. Thread, Size E, conforming to V-T-295, Type 1, 2, or 3: 1 spool.
3. The method for attaching tapes shall be 13-15 points per Inch in a double throw zig-zag 308 pattern, 1/4 inch
wide within 1/8 inch of the radial tape edges, in accordance with FED-STD-751.
4. Instructions. Reinforcement modifications must be made to each of the two (2) steering orifices located in
gores # 4 and # 26 for each parachute. The procedures given below are for only one (1) gore. Repeat the entire
procedure for the other gore.
a. Prefabrication of Reinforcement Tapes:
(1) Measure and cut the 1 1/2-inch tape into one (1) 30-inch length and one (1) 32-inch length. Mark the center
of each length. Mark at 1/2-inch from each end of each length for later tum-under.
(2) Measure and cut the 1 1/2 inch tape into one (1) 33 3/4-inch length. Designate one end as the top and mark
with a " " Mark the tape 2 1/2-inches from the top and at 171/2-inches from the top. Mark at 1/2-inch from each end for
(3) Lay out the 33 3/4 inch length of tape. Center the 30 inch length of tape over the 33 3/4-inch length of tape,
centering it over the 171/2-inch mark. Sew the centersection where the tapes cross with two (2) rows of stitching as
(4) Center the 32 inch length of tape over the 33 3/4 inch length of tape, 1/2-inch up from the bottom of the 33
3/4-inch length of tape. Turn under the bottom 1/2-inch of the tape, folding it between the two (2) tapes.
Sew the center section where the tapes cross with two (2) rows of stitching as specified in paragraph 3 above.