TM 10-1670-268-20&P 0004 00
4. Procedures to Check for Platform Bowing (2 options).
Identify a flat, smooth, clean area. Each 18-foot dual row platform
should be checked for signs of bowing just before the load is rigged
on it. The following two tests must be performed on a level floor
space large enough to accommodate the Dual Row, 18-foot
platform. There are two ways to check the platform for bowing
using either one or three personnel. Check both sides of platform.
a. Three personnel are required for this task (option 1). Check platform for bowing as follows:
First person stands beside the platform at one end and holds an end of an 18-foot length of
8/7 cotton thread to the top corner of the outer edge of the side rail.
(2) Second person stands beside the platform at the opposite end, and holds the cotton thread
so that it is stretched taut between the two top corners of the outer edge of the side rail.
(3) Using measuring tape, third person measures the widest distance between the cotton
thread and the top of side rail.
(4) Platform is considered usable if the distance is ¼-inch or less.
b. One person is required for this task (option 2). Check platform for bowing as follows:
(1) Using measuring tape, measure greatest distance between surface of level floor space and
lower edge of rail, at each end of platform and in the center.
(2) Platform is considered usable if the distance is a ¼-in or less.
5. Installation of Outrigger Masts. Two personnel are required for this task.
a. Install the outrigger mast onto the previously assembled weldment/link in a horizontal position.
Each mast can be installed to either side of the platform. Position mast so that handle is up and
farthest away from platform.