b. Replace damaged cross straps as follows:
(1) Carefully cut and remove without damaging the "C" release loops, the double box X stitching which
secures the cross straps (1) to the harness (2) on both sides.
(2) Cut two 8-3/4 inch lengths of Type VIII nylon webbing and sear ends.
(3) Cut a 1-3/4 wide X 2-inch long hook tape fastener.
(4) On one cross strap, make a mark 4-3/8 inches for the center line location. From the center line, make a
1-inch mark at each side.
(5) Position replacement 2-inch long hook tape (facing up) between marks and stitch with two rows of box
stitching (3). Use size FF thread, 7 to 9 stitches per inch, and a type MD sewing machine.
(6) Place cross straps (1) together with hook tape on inside bottom layer, and with harness strap (2)
sandwiched between superimposed cross straps as in original construction and stitch with double box X stitch pattern in
two places. Use size 3 thread, 6 to 8 stitches per inch, and a type HD sewing machine.