ARMY TM 10-1670-271-23&P
AIR FORCE TO 14D1-2-464-2
MARINE CORPS TM 01136B-23&P/1
2-22. Upper Lateral Band.
This task covers
Knife, Item 13, Appendix B
43E(10) Parachute Rigger
Knife, Hot Metal, Item 14, Appendix B
Pot, Melting, Electric, Item 22,
Sewing Machine, Medium Duty (Table 2-2)
Unpacked, canopy laid flat.
Shears, Item 28, Appendix B
Group No. 01, MAC, Section II,
Thread, Nylon, Item 50/51, Appendix D
Webbing, Nylon, 1-inch, tubular, Item 63,
a Restitching. Restitching of upper lateral band is authorized. Use a light duty sewing machine and size
E, nylon thread of contrasting color. Stitch over the original stitch pattern. Lock each row of stitches two inches
at each end.
The upper lateral bands may be spliced only once and will not be replaced.
b. Damage Between Radial Seams. Repair as follows:
(1) Cut stitching of two apex/vent lines on each side of damaged area, and move lines to one side.
(2) Invert apex and smooth canopy around damaged area.
(3) Cut a piece of 1-inch tubular nylon webbing, long enough to extend 1 inch beyond outside edge of
second radial seam on each side of damaged area. Sear or dip ends of webbing.
(4) Position webbing on damaged area Use a medium duty sewing machine and size E, nylon thread to
stitch. Sew webbing in place with four continuous rows of stitching, 7 to 11 stitches per inch.
Overstitch ends of webbing 2 inches (A, figure 2-80).
(5) Reposition apex/vent lines and sew them In place according to original construction.