TM 10-1670-296-20&P 0018 00
ANCILLARY EQUIPMENT FOR LOW VELOCITY AIR DROP SYSTEMS (LVADS)
EXTRACTION FORCE TRANSFER COUPLING CABLE ASSEMBLY
THIS TASK COVERS:
Coupling, Extraction Force Transfer Cable Assembly,
Coupling (WP 0072 00)
92R (10) Parachute Rigger
Removed from the Extraction Force
FM 4-20.102(FM 10-500-2);
Inspect the coupling link assembly, in accordance with WP 0005 00, using the procedures in Table 1 as well
as the following procedures:
All cable assemblies must be inspected prior to every airdrop as follows:
1. Extend the cable straight and apply a manual push/pull force on the ends of the inner cable.
2. Check for any friction or resistance to push/pull of the inner cable.
3. An approximate manual push/pull force detecting any friction, resistance or force exceeding 10-pounds
under a spring scale applied to the ends of the cable will indicate a defective cable assembly.
4. Visually check both ends of the inner cable for any birdcage effect or damage.
5. Bird caging of the inner wire cable is defined as any visible unraveling or physical deformation of the inner
wire cable strands.
6. Visually inspect both ends of all lengths of EFTC cable assemblies produced by all manufacturers for bird
caging of the inner wire cable.
7. There is no authorized repair for the damaged cable assemblies found with bird caging.
8. Dispose of in accordance with local standard procedures for damaged airdrop equipment.
9. Cable assemblies that pass the manual push/pull test and do not show signs of bird caging should be
connected to a good EFTC actuator and latch assembly to check for proper positive lock in the latch
10. Check for proper operation of the actuator assembly to completely open the catch in the latch assembly
IAW FM 4-20.102 (FM 10-500-2)/T.0. 13C7-1-5.
11. If proper operation is not achieved, the cable assembly can be considered defective. There is no
authorized repair for the defective cable.
12. During pre-airdrop rigging and functional inspections, unlock and rotate the actuator arm to check the
operation of the latch assembly.