ARMY TM 10-1670-294-23&P
AIR FORCE T.O. 13C5-33-2
NAVY NAVAIR 13-1-34
2-11. Shakeout and Airing.
This task covers:
Brush, Scrub, Household, Item 1, Appendix B
Shakeout. The shakeout will be accomplished by a two-person team either indoors within a shakeout
room or outdoors at a shakeout tower. Each parachute will be suspended by the canopy vent and all debris
removed by shaking the canopy thoroughly or by brushing with a dry, soft-bristled brush as detailed below:
(1) With assistance from no. 2 person, no. 1 person will connect the snap on a pulley rope to canopy
bridle loop (A, figure 2-7).
(2) Through use of pulley rope, no. 2 person will raise the canopy to a suitable height which will enable
the no. 1 person to perform shakeout on each of the canopy gores. Until gore shaking process is
completed no. 2 person will maintain a steady pull on pulley rope to hold the suspended canopy at
working height needed by the no. 1 person.
(3) The no. 1 person will grasp any two consecutive suspension lines, one in each hand (B, figure 2-7),
and vigorously shake the first gore. When the gore is free of debris, no. 1 person passes the line
from the right hand to the left hand and grasps next consecutive suspension line in right hand. No.
1 person will shake out each consecutive gore until all suspension lines are held in the left hand and
all gores are free of debris.
(4) Once the gore shaking process is completed, no. 2 person will slowly raise suspended canopy
higher as no. 1 person clears suspension lines of debris and removes entanglements (C, figure 2-7)
(5) After suspension lines have been cleared, no. 2 person may hold or temporarily secure pulley rope
while no. 1 person proceeds to clear debris from other parachute components such as risers or
(6) When all components are free of debris, no. 2 person will slowly lower canopy while the no. 1
person S-folds suspension lines into deployment bag (D, figure 2-7). After suspension lines have
been completely folded, no. 1 person will accordion-fold canopy length on top of folded lines.
(7) As canopy folding is being completed, no. 1 person disconnects canopy vent from pulley rope snap.
Secure the folded canopy assembly for further handling.