(f) Remove the clinched snap fastener components from the chuck and die set and check the
seating of the joined components. If the applicable components are not properly seated, repeat the procedure in (e)
(g) Check the engagement of the installed snap fastener components to insure the open and
closed snapping process cannot be accomplished without difficulty, replace the opposite mating snap fastener
components using the procedures in steps (a) through (f), above.
A lift-the-dot snap fastener assembly will open and close from only one direction.
(h) As required, remove the chuck and die from the applicable snap fastener tools by reversing
the procedures in (b) above.
2. Hand- or foot-operated press method. Installation of a lift-the-dot snap fastener assembly by hand-
or foot-operated press may be accomplished using the procedures in paragraph 1 above, except the chuck and die will
be secured within the applicable locking screws.
h. Replacement of Grommets. A grommet is a two piece metal eyelet used to reinforce and protect textile
material at a point where a hole has been made to permit the threading of a line, chord, webbing or the insertion of a
retainer device. The three types of grommets used on air-drop equipment are the flat (A, Fig.3-41), plain (B), and spur
(c), each of which is installed with an applicable type washer. Repair or replace a defective grommet using the following
procedures, as appropriate.
(1) Repair. Remove burrs, rough spots, rust, or corrosion from an installed grommet by filing with a
metal file or by buffing with a crocus cloth.
(2) Reseat a loose grommet by using the applicable procedures described under grommet replacement.
(3) Replacement. A grommet which is damaged or cannot be reseated will be replaced with a serviceable
grommet and washer of the same size and type from stock and the following procedures, as applicable:
(4) Original grommet removal. Using a suitable type tool, lift the edge of the original washer at one point.
(5) Grip the lifted washer edge with diagonal nippers and roll the washer edge back to lift the washer from the
original grommet. Remove the original grommet from the material.