DIRECT SUPPORT MAINTENANCE
MC-6 PERSONNEL PARACHUTE SYSTEM
MAIN CANOPY GORE PANEL SECTIONS
Sewing Machine, Double Needle (Item 54, WP
92R (10) Parachute Rigger
Sewing Machine, Light Duty (Item 56, WP 0097
Cloth, Nylon Ripstop, Type I (Item 11, WP 0109
Replace Main Canopy Gore Sections
Stitch removal requirements will vary according to the type of item being replaced. Use of
a stitch removal tool is mandated when removing any stitch formation.
A double needle sewing machine may be substituted for a single needle sewing machine.
1. Place canopy in proper layout. Invert the canopy on a repair table with the damaged portion exposed.
2. Smooth out the damaged section and secure the surrounding canopy material to the repair table by
placing push-pins through the seams, lateral bands, or the edge reinforcements as far above and
below the damaged section as necessary. Ensure that all adjacent seams, lateral bands, and edge
reinforcements are straight and the damaged section is not distorted.
3. Remove the damaged section by cutting the section material at a point 1/2-inch in from the inside
edge of each adjacent seam, lateral band, or edge reinforcement. Cut the remaining fabric diagonally
at each corner allowing the raw edges to be folded back 1/2-inch.
4. Fold each raw edge back 1/2-inch and baste (refer to basting procedures in WP 0088 00).
5. Start with any corner of the prefabricated replacement panel and align double stitching of panel to
canopy and pin in place.
6. Move clockwise to next corner and apply tension to top and bottom of the material.
7. Align double stitching of panel to canopy and pin in place.
8. Repeat steps 5 and 6 for remaining corners.
9. Pin the replacement panel to the canopy halfway between all corners. Use additional push pins as
needed to secure the replacement panel to the canopy.